Re: [LUG] OT: Scam call

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Rob Beard wrote:
> I'd love to forward one of these calls on to Microsoft themselves and listen
> to the outcome :-)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2013/03/06/when-fake-malware-phones.aspx

Would have been better if they had said they'd call from Microsoft,
but they didn't. In fact, a lot of the time they don't.

Last year I managed to get past their payment system, making them
believe I had paid, and this year they rang back to renew the license.
(And, guess what, found lots of malware. I didn't ask, and they didn't
explain, why there could have been malware, given that I had paid for
a year's protection the year before.)

Martijn.

PS Some ISPs (though none in the UK, as far as I'm aware) do phone
customers with serious problems. Microsoft doesn't, but they do offer
support, probably over the phone as well. I have spoken to someone who
had receive a call from the scammers a few days after he had emailed
Microsoft about a problem with his PC. He never questions the call as
it made perfect sense to him.