Re: [LUG] More Raspberry woes.

On 17/03/13 12:43, JOHN DAVEY wrote:

...I was just thinking, is it possible that I have downloaded too much
onto my SD card. I'm not sure why the site would tell me to do this if
it was going to have this effect but....what can I say my Raspberry is
now unuseable and when it boots up is says something about "[warn] root
filesystem has insufficient filespace" what have I done?!
Jon Davey.

How big is the SD card you are using? IIRC the Raspbian image from the Raspberry Pi site resizes the partition on the SD card to use all the available space on the card.

Do you have access to a Linux machine? If it was me and I only had 1 SD card I'd consider making an image of the existing card and then putting the original image back on.

To create an image of the card run the following command on a Linux machine as root, or put sudo in front of the command if you're running something like Ubuntu...

dd if=/dev/sdX of=/home/username/raspberrypi.img

Where sdX is the device name for your SD card (maybe sdb, sdc etc, inserting the card and then typing mount at a command prompt will hopefully help you fathom what device name it is if the card is mounted automatically, or run the command dmesg and then try and read the last couple of lines out output which might give you a clue).

Once you have the image, if you don't need to get anything else off the card try dd'ing the original Raspberry Pi Raspbian image and see what happens, possibly run the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade commands again and take note if you get any error messages.

Rob