Re: [LUG] Too cold to measure temps

On 12/03/13 15:49, Simon Avery wrote:
You can't measure the temperature because you have been let-down by a PC
maker
Well yes.  Clearly they've used a sign 8-bit char where they
shouldn't, and also clearly, they don't intend fixing it! Annoying,
but I'll probably relocate the sensor to inside the case and pretend
ambient means something different...

- or your running a PC outside their recommended limits - it's
For a manufacturer to insist on a safe working range of +10c to +35c
is very restrictive, I think. And without any basis. Like you, I've
run kit in all kinds of unsuitable locations and generally things
behave very well.

/snip
Its not really without any basis - the fact it dies because of crap firmware is annoying - but running your PC in a loft or anywhere outside the limits stated can cause problems: Thermal cycling in a loft can raise the temperature to 60C and plunge it to -15C. Doing that on a regular basis will make things expand and shrink and work loose. Also having something get cold and then have humid air (popping open the loft hatch) can result in copious quantities of condensation - in a loft you can get that anyway as the roof heats up and dries off the condensation (ice) on the inside of the tiles. They design PC's to work mostly where you are, and to stretch it to the limits you are expecting it to work at would add considerably to the price.
Tom te tom te tom