[LUG] Too cold to measure temps

A cautionary tale about /too/ much technology...

I've run a server in my loft at home for well over a decade. This year
I treated myself and bought an HP ML110, primarily for ILO so that
when something went wrong I didn't have to clamber up a loft ladder
and resolve. This server does a bunch of stuff, cctv, mythtv - and
lately, extensive weather and house temp measuring.

I was interested this morning to see what temps we'd got to. It had
reached -3c outside when I went to be, with a windchill of -10.
However, dead server this morning, and nagios tells me it went splat
around 1am.

ILO was still working. I went in and saw the power was off. Tried to
remotely restart power, nothing.

After some hunting around, I went to the ilo log to see many of these
"Power loss due to overheating. Attempting to restore power"

I figured a fan had died, probably CPU, but it wasn't even trying to
start up. No POST on the remote console.

So I googled it and found this.

"If an HP ProLiant ML110 G7 server is exposed to ambient temperatures
below zero degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit), the temperature
sensor on the front of the server could interpret this negative
temperature reading as a very large positive value and then trigger a
signal that forces HP Integrated Lights-Out 3 (iLO 3) to initiate an
emergency shutdown of the server. If this occurs, the

RESOLUTION
Ensure that the HP ProLiant ML110 G7 server is not exposed to
temperatures outside the specified operating range, 10c to 35c."

(Seems to be a bug to this specific model, I'm assuming somebody used
a signed char where they shouldn't and ILO is measuring around 250+'c

So I can't measure how cold it is, because it's too cold!