Re: [LUG] email tag

 On 27/02/2013 16:26, Simon Avery wrote:
Really? who filters on subject rather than list-id header?
Me, for one. It works with every piece of software that filters, and
if it does break it's not the end of the world - but asking everyone
else to change key hooks to suit you is impolite, which was my point.

People that started out using a Microsoft product that could only filter
on Subject, not any of the more logical headers.
Actually, no. Fidonet. Over two decades ago and before Microsoft woke
up to internet possibilities, and been filtering mailman lists not
long after that was written. How often have I had problems with
filtering by subject on a mailman list? Once in a blue moon when
people respond off-list, and even then, it just goes into a separate
folder.

Sadly, some people never learn.   :-(
Some things don't need fixing that often. Filtering is hardly rocket
science and as with most things, there is no one true way and there is
space for many, and helping people along those ways is, I thought, the
point of a lug.

Really - arguing about how different people filter email is ridiculous
and insulting those who do it differently is ignorant, especially when
email itself is kludge upon kludge since it was created. If you want
to be elitest and superior about something, choose something better
than a massively inefficient 7-bit transport system.

Agreed on all points. particularly the last one. Modern email clients can filter on pretty much anything. I filter on subject [If subject contains '[LUG]' move to DCGLUG folder] and it works fine for me. I am a big believer in 'If it's not broken don't fix it' and as, for the majority, it seems the current system isn't broken I see no reason to 'fix' it. Also as you say people are free to filter on anything they like, so if the Subject field doesn't work for you try another such as the From:

Julian