Re: [LUG] email tag

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:26:56 +0000
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

>Actually, no. Fidonet. Over two decades ago and before Microsoft woke

FidoNet parcelled things up with no need for the user to filter stuff
into different folders.

>Some things don't need fixing that often. Filtering is hardly rocket

My beef with subject tags is that they waste space.  Even in this day
and age, subject header space is a finite resource which is better used
as a subject, not a a tag holder for filtering.  I've been on mailing
lists with ridiculously long tags (12+ chars).  Thankfully, my MUA has
the ability to filter them out, meaning I get to read more of the
subject line allowing me to make a better informed choice before I open
the message.

Then there's the fact that more and more people are moving to a tablet
or smart phone for their internet access (getting their mail, etc).
Wasting screen space on a tag is detrimental to that experience.

>to be elitest and superior about something, choose something better
>than a massively inefficient 7-bit transport system

The transport mechanism is completely irrelevant.

--
 Regards  _
This is the fifty first state of the USA