Re: [LUG] Android root & unlock

On 20/02/13 21:06, Martinus Scriblerus wrote:
Not strictly Linux but related. I have an android phone (Galaxy S)
that is now out of contract & warranty. I'd be interested in unlocking
it for use on another network, and also in installing a new updated
build.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Well not sure about unlocking for another network, actually I need to do that on my old one. As for updating it, I'd recommend Cyanogenmod 9 (it's based on Ice Cream Sandwich). I found Cyanogenmod 10 (Jellybean) to be a little too slow on the Galaxy S (I have the GT-i9000, I believe they released a slightly updated version with a 1.4GHz CPU, so if you have one of them maybe it might handle it better).

Head over to http://www.cyanogenmod.org and also have a look at the XDA Developers forums for all the information you could ever need. The XDA guys are really knowledgeable. You can also get custom firmwares based on Gingerbread too if you so desire.

Rob