Re: [LUG] NVidia drivers and Linux

On 13/02/13 12:36, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> These NVidia graphic cards seem to cause a lot of grief in Linux. I
> don't have one as my computer has built in graphics on an Intel
> motherboard. I am not interested in gaming so that is fine for me.
>
> But many people on the list seem to have problems at times. I would be
> interested to know if there are other cards which could be used
> instead and which work well with Linux. Or are we stuck with NVidia if
> we want a separate graphics card?
>
> Can anyone enlighten me please?
>
> Neil

If you don't need 3D (gaming) then use nouveau. It's quite good these
days and is in the more recent recent kernels so it's relatively easy to
get going. Plus there's no need to keep installing/upgrading nvidia
drivers and no more faffing about trying to find a legacy driver which
works with your aging nvidia card.

Keith