Re: [LUG] DrayTek Vigor 120 - unstable connections following machine reboot

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Mike Grant wrote:

On 02/06/2013 08:38 PM, Simon Avery wrote:

The 120 also supports v6, possibly with a firmware update. I had to ask for a beta at the time (2010ish) and, I think, got v120_3244_332201.

The 120 is a modem - it doesn't need to support IP. I run IPv6 through my Drayek 120's. Early ones didn't work well with IPv6 though, but they don't support IPv6 other than being transparent to it.

(Oh, and it can act as a simple NAT router too, but I think Draytek may have removed that in recent versions)

exactly *one* piece of v6 capable network hardware, should my ISP ever

Switch ISP to a v6 one! There must be nearly 3 in the UK that support it now ;)

There are 3 main ones - AAISP, Entanet and Goscomb. Both Enta and Goscomb have resellers (although Goscomb also deals direct) There are 100's of Enta resellers such as myself (at the bottom end of the scale) and a few biggies at the upper end. There is no excuse (other than cost and your own personal effort) to not having IPv6 right now.

And note that some ISPs are keeping their head firmly stuck in the sand and are now trialling "Carrier Grade" NAT (Plusnet).

The main managed co-lo companies now mostly support IPv6 too. Peering is slowly increasing too, but I still sometimes see a route via some weird place or via what is a 6-4 tunnel.. that will improve in time.

This:

  https://unicorn.drogon.net/v6.png

is the IPv6 traffic into my own server since I gave it an IPv6 address (https://projects.drogon.net/).

The numbers are low, (it's the 1-day average) but it's early days yet, however there is a trend and it's not going down...

Gordon