Re: [LUG] Learning "web" programming

On 09/01/13 18:46, Simon Avery wrote:
> Hehe.
>
> Yes, horses... Info, photos, scheduling of a dozen different things
> (worming, tetanus, homechecks, farriers, teeth). All kinds of reports,
> lists, general data manipulation, automatic letter printing etc. And
> the photos - that was a challenge. Now approaching 10,000 full size
> photos and 14GB. All organised automatically - rotated, flagged,
> resized (all perl) - and that's in the past three years since I added
> photo support to it, and a selection of the thumbs exported by rsync
> to the public site.
>
> To give you a taste, once a day part of the main horse db (one of
> several databases my system controls), exports to the public website
> of the charity and updates a mysql table, accessible here
> http://www.mareandfoal.org/about-us/horses/
>
> (For all my talk of perl, this wordpress plugin was written in php)
>
> All our servers (I think 9, now, plus two more dl380's owned by a
> partner), including the vm for the public site, are running debian. I
> dabbled with Windows Server (SBS 2k7 I think) several times (they do
> significant charity discounts) but I found adminning Windows far, far
> more work and also more unintuitive - especially the security aspects.
> Not having any formal training, this learning curve was very steep and
> I eventually threw it away and carried on with samba which just works
> and continues working, day after day.

Ah, now it all makes sense... you work for a horse charity. I thought
that was probably the case, but had brief visions of the staff just
using horses for transport, galloping around Devon delivering medical
supplies or post or something. That would have been so cool.

The Small Business Server version of Windows *really* is a pile of crap,
absolutely no disagreements from me there. You should have called MS and
bullied them a lot more - I've done this at charities before and if
you're manipulative enough, they'll sometimes almost pay you to take
their licenses. But as you said, you're a Debian guy so the re-training
wouldn't have made any sense.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I know who to get hold of if I ever
need a horse (I never learnt to drive, so that may be sooner than you
think).

Cheers