Re: [LUG] Learning "web" programming

On 9 January 2013 13:46, Grant Phillips-Sewell
<dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On another note, would you say that CGI is perfectly acceptable? I kinda got
> the impression that it was frowned upon as it meant that a separate instance
> of the interpreter had to be loaded for each request.

imdb.org big enough for you? Also large parts of the bbc sites, the
RAC and lots of others are either all or mostly perl driven and quite
large scaled.

As has been mentioned, mod_perl is the trick if you expect volume.
Also Fast::CGI, but it's best to write for those from the ground up.

I've written a fairly comprehensive system entirely in perl for work,
organising many aspects of a busy charity (~400 horses, 100+ staff),
and it's quite fast enough without the above even on modest hardware,
but we rarely have more than a dozen concurrent users. I've done a few
things on public sites and again, unless you get into massive numbers,
normal perl loads well. The OS will cache the interpreter and it
shares mem where it can. Sure, improvements can be made and there's a
lot of tricks to perl - most of which I don't know, and as the sites
above show, it can be scaled to any size you want with some effort.

Perl is 25 years old now. There's quite a bit of support for it.

For me though, #!/usr/bin/perl is the first thing I type whenever I've
got a cgi project. Sometimes I'll do it in php if that suits the
particular task better. I rarely need to look outside of those two
though.

Other people do other things, they choice :)