Re: [LUG] Learning "web" programming

Hehe.

Yes, horses... Info, photos, scheduling of a dozen different things
(worming, tetanus, homechecks, farriers, teeth). All kinds of reports,
lists, general data manipulation, automatic letter printing etc. And
the photos - that was a challenge. Now approaching 10,000 full size
photos and 14GB. All organised automatically - rotated, flagged,
resized (all perl) - and that's in the past three years since I added
photo support to it, and a selection of the thumbs exported by rsync
to the public site.

To give you a taste, once a day part of the main horse db (one of
several databases my system controls), exports to the public website
of the charity and updates a mysql table, accessible here
http://www.mareandfoal.org/about-us/horses/

(For all my talk of perl, this wordpress plugin was written in php)

All our servers (I think 9, now, plus two more dl380's owned by a
partner), including the vm for the public site, are running debian. I
dabbled with Windows Server (SBS 2k7 I think) several times (they do
significant charity discounts) but I found adminning Windows far, far
more work and also more unintuitive - especially the security aspects.
Not having any formal training, this learning curve was very steep and
I eventually threw it away and carried on with samba which just works
and continues working, day after day.