Re: [LUG] Windows 8 adoption

On 02/01/13 10:48, Julian Hall wrote:
>  On 02/01/2013 00:36, bad apple wrote:
>> On 02/01/13 00:00, Kai Hendry wrote:
>>> Really? What technical merit does it bring to the table?
>>>
>>> Is the filesystem still doggedly slow? ;)
>>>
>> No. NTFS has been incrementally improved over the years and is not any
>> worse than any other filesystem that isn't ZFS.
> Scuse me butting in, but you mention a lot of improvements 'under the
> hood' that are in Windows 8; my question, which I believe will be the
> main question of the *average* punter is, not what file system does it
> use, but 'Where the hell is X?'  X being anything from Windows
> Explorer to Device Manager.  To be honest when I tried out a
> pre-release version in a VM I even had trouble figuring out how to
> close anything, eventually finding the 'mouse to bottom left corner to
> pop up the close icon'.  Totally alien to all users of Windows used to
> the X in the top right.   I don't think the average user will either
> care about, or even be aware of, the improvements you've listed, but
> what they *will* be aware of is the fact that pretty much every single
> one of their favourite/most used functions have been moved around into
> totally alien places.  I was chatting to two such users yesterday on
> Twitter one of whom has had Windows 8 for six weeks and hates it,
> another who had a Windows 8 laptop for Christmas and cannot get on
> with it at all, and they are typical of the average users I am
> referring to.
>
> I will be having a look for 'Classic Shell' which was mentioned
> previously in this thread to see if that will ameliorate their woes.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

A good opportunity to show them Linux based systems and have a good
website (and yes its getting there and t hank you to bad apple for
offering a write up. )
  where they can get in touch and ask for help from  FRIENDLY and
SUPPORTIVE community.   They should be able to post a question on Ubuntu
for example and get an answer and not be bombarded with messages on how
people think unity sucks,

Right now I would probably suggest Lubuntu as I know how to install that
and am familiar with the install method,   We need to be able to help
people.  This is what Lug meets are for, :) And if are lots of people
who hate Win8 and want change,  lets work out a way to find them and
organise an install day.   If there is interest it justifies the cost
and work required to do one.

We need to be supportive and ask questions, sure there are better ways
to do things,  but if they don't see us as being supportive or just
arguing then they will go elsewhere and take a negative opinion of the
whole Linux community with them.

Lets keep the momentum up.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net