Re: [LUG] Strange Problem 2

On 19/12/12 14:23, George Parker wrote:
I reckon this is related to Tom's recent tales of woe.  I've just cured
an intermittent fault on a desktop PC by putting in a new motherboard
and processor, an AMD A4-3400 which has integrated Radeon graphics.  I
stuck in the latest Mint release and booted and blow me, no display
after boot.  Mint does not have a nice screen to look at during boot,
blank by design, and as soon as the first few lines of text disappear,
the monitor loses sync and the little green light goes out, never to
re-appear.

I tried with several different versions of mint all with the same
result.  This was with an old AG Neovo monitor so I tried a modern LG
monitor, same result.  I tried using the failsafe install version but
all I got was "initramfs: unable to find a medium containing a file
system" from several different distros.

Yes, it's a driver issue as mentioned on the thread Tom started.

As for starting in VGA mode, I can't remember exactly what I did on a machine which had this problem (and I won't be anywhere near the machine until Friday). I think I just selected the safe graphics mode from the boot menu (press a key at the boot menu when it's counting down).

If you have a graphics card you can put in for now that's probably the easiest option, you'll at least hopefully be able to get something installed. I wonder if the initramfs issue is it not being able to find what you're installing from. What installation media are you using? CD? DVD? USB stick?

Which version of Mint have you tried?

When you get the OS installed it will work but you need to install the lastest drivers from AMD's web site. You might find it just easier to bung in a graphics card, possibly something like a NVidia Geforce 210, at least it *should* start with a basic driver then.

Rob