[LUG] Strange Problem 2

I reckon this is related to Tom's recent tales of woe. I've just cured an intermittent fault on a desktop PC by putting in a new motherboard and processor, an AMD A4-3400 which has integrated Radeon graphics. I stuck in the latest Mint release and booted and blow me, no display after boot. Mint does not have a nice screen to look at during boot, blank by design, and as soon as the first few lines of text disappear, the monitor loses sync and the little green light goes out, never to re-appear.

I tried with several different versions of mint all with the same result. This was with an old AG Neovo monitor so I tried a modern LG monitor, same result. I tried using the failsafe install version but all I got was "initramfs: unable to find a medium containing a file system" from several different distros.

Many boots later I found that PCLinuxOS, Puppy Slacko, Debian, Mepis 8.5 and 3 versions of Ubuntu would boot with a display. No Mint version or open Suse will boot with a display. I installed Debian but it wouldn't install grub or lilo for some reason so i now have Kubuntu installed. But I much prefer Mint. Anybody know any boot tweaks to put into a bog standard VGA mode, perhaps?

BTW, the main reason I don't use Debian is that I can never find reliable repositories for their software.

George