Re: [LUG] Open Source Dropbox

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012, Dan Dart wrote:

Well, there is Cryptobox: https://github.com/xray7224/CryptoBox

Is there?

What does it do?

And that's the big issue - there are lots and lots of dropbox alikes and so on, but the real issue I've found when trying to do thhis in a commercial environment is that none of them are user friendly. They might be geek friendly, but they just do not work for the average MS Windows monkey.

Skype wins over standards based VoIP because it's free and "just works". Even under Mac and Linux - for the most part Skype works.

Dropbox wins over shared SAMBA/NFS/VPN because it "just works", and like Skype, it works under Linux and Max.

Cryptobox? I still don't know what it does. Maybe if it had a website with a "this is what Cryptobox is" page on it. All I see is a bunch of source code and a readme that might as well be klingon to the average PC user.

It took me the best part of 6 months working with a company of 30 people to wean them off Dropbox and onto their own managed server using a VPN to access it - Even then there are still issues... So-called IT "professionals" still struggle to install OpenVPN, then can't mount a share after that.... Dropbox "just works".

Gordon