Re: [LUG] DDNS providers

On 18/12/12 18:56, Kevin Lucas wrote:

I am probably not needing one either. But I was interested to learn a
bit about it all. I had not thought about the heating problem. And I
don't have the 'hybrid' problem that you mentioned. I have not used
Windows for at least 12 years now, and I have no plans to do so. Much
simpler all round.

Neil

I use one of my PCs as a "Server" ( Web Mysql ssh Rsync backup and media
server, Cam monitoring with Motion ) as its on all the time. Its a cheap
Novotech quad core Athlon 2 Gig Ram,  with just two disks and one
network card. Other users with android, netbooks and desktops can use
it's services all in our private network and also have access to some
services from the real world outside. Also the new hard disk recorder
which is wireless uses it's  MediaTomb service and plays Music and if I
can get the format right Videos!

When it's not doing all this it runs the shop desktop for standard
Email, Web browsing, Libre Office work and database queries.

Hardly a dust box under the Stairs!

Interesting. And I have just remembered that I still have my old, now replaced computer sat in the garage. I could use that I suppose. I must look into this some more.

Neil