Re: [LUG] DDNS providers

Hi Neil,

One the cons about home servers is that they
have to be powered
24/7. In the winter months, a bit of
extra background heat might
well be useful, but in the
summer (remember those???) you might
have to leave windows
(i.e. glazed hole in wall) open so that
the kit can get
rid of its heat. Only you can decide if that
is an
imposition or not.

I have decided that my hybrid
windows/linux network is adequate
for my most of my needs,
and that I can manage without a server.

Regards etc,
Ray
Knowles.

co.uk

Hendry wrote:
>> Get a decent ISP who can assign a
netblock? ;)

>> http://www.aa.net.uk/broadband-home1.html>>
>I didn't
know whether to put this question as a new thread or not,
but
>anyway. Several times recently I have heard mention
of having a 'home
>server' which it seems this is all
about.

>So can anyone explain to me why someone would
want to and what are the
>pros and cons please? I have
already had a look around the internet, as
>so often by
ending up more confused than ever.