Re: [LUG] Linux compatible Personal Music Player

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:05:48 +0000
Philip Whateley <philip.whateley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14/12/12 12:33, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2012, tom wrote:
> >
> >> My personal preference is for a small handheld device that does a
> >> million other things as well - I'd try a small android device that
> >> will do what you ask, possibly work as a phone and a computer too. No
> >> need for several portable devices all capable of doing the same thing
> >> but limited by marketing departments.
> >
> > You can't go to sleep with a phone plugged into you and sensibly
> > charge it at the same time without strangling yourself in the mess of
> > wires.
> >
> > This is precisely the reason my wife has an ipod thing.
> >
> > Although it's now broke (non replaceable battery dead) and that
> > Sandisk thing will be perfect for her...
> >
> > Gordon
> >
> Bought one of these for my daughter last Christmas.
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Expandable-MicroSD/dp/B002NX0ME6/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
>
> Works fine with Linux, and also has codecs for Ogg Vorbis which is rare.
> Also can plug a micro SD card in so you can expand storage, and it has
> an FM radio.
>
> She is really pleased with it.
>
> Phil
>
> --

I second Phil's recommendation. The Sansa Clip+ is actually a really awesome player,
and super good value.
I have had a Sana Clip+ for a year or so, and, when i lost it, i ordered another one
straight away, i didn't feel the need to shop around at all (my new one is in the
post).
It has better sound quality, in my opinion, than the iPods i have had (2nd gen and
3rd gen Nano), it is super small, it has a microSD slot, and pretty all right
battery (considering the overall size of the device), i would say well over 10 hours
continuous playback.

The good thing about a discreet music player, as opposed to an Android phone or
something similar, is the extended playback time; and the physical buttons mean you
can control it in your pocket, blind; also, you can take it places you don't wont to
carry a bulky/valuable phone. And the low price point means if you lose it (like i
did) you won't be totally gutted.

One thing -- as stock the Clip+ doesn't go very loud, i don't mean it won't go to
unsafe volumes, i mean it really is very quiet on max. However, if you Rockbox it
(install the Rockbox OS, which is super easy to do), you will have a complete
replacement operating system, and the capacity to make it go as loud as you can
stand.
Also, if you Rockbox it, you will get tons more codecs supported, as well as a bunch
of 'apps' (i like the text editor and the dictionary) and a built in file manager,
as well as equaliser controls and variable playback speed controls. Oh, and you can
"play" Doom (it runs smooth but the dual mono-chrome screen is, shall we say, more
than grainy).
Best thing -- Rockbox is a fully opensource OS.
RB is allot more complex than the standard OS that ships on the Clip+, so you will
want to spend a while learning it.
The standard theme is pretty ugly, attached is my theme config (chuck it in the
themes folder and choose it via the RB themes menu, if you install RB). This theme
is optimised for tiny, single colour screens.

Cheers.

Mike.
--
Egon Spengler <migel_wimtore@xxxxxxx>