Re: [LUG] New printer

On 01/12/12 16:56, bad apple wrote:
On 01/12/12 16:50, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Thanks for all the help and advice from everyone. I now have bought a
printer, an HP 5520, which will please bad apple. When I tried to set
it up I was told that there were no drivers found for that series. SO
I updated hplip file and all was well.

It seems ok. I am using the USB port at the moment. It is supposed to
also work with wifi but I will leave that for another day.

Neil

Good man :]

I must congratulate you on your persistence - you seem to run into one
issue after another, and none of it seems to stop you. Keep up the good
work chief.

Cheers

With my old printer I used compatible cartridges for a long time and thereby saved a lot of money. I suppose I ought to use the genuine ones to start with for at least the first year during the guarantee time.

The genuine ones are more than somewhat expensive. Do compatibles cause much trouble with HP? I noticed that when I installed the cartridges which were provided that the message was 'Genuine HP cartridges installed' so the printer is set up to check this. Crafty.

Luckily I do not print much. I do need to keep costs down. Anyone have any thoughts on all this please?

Neil