Re: [LUG] New printer

On 30/11/12 18:32, Julian Hall wrote:
  On 30/11/2012 17:48, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 30/11/12 11:15, tom wrote:

Can you connect to the printer and ask it what is wrong - some do have
diagnostics
Tom te tom te tom

I have done some more searching and what I have found will please
Simon Avery even more!!!

I have found out that inkjets lose a lot of their ink inside the
printer, partly when the heads are cleaned, which is collected in a
small tank and by some absorbent pads which live somewhere inside the
printer. This could eventually cause a mess so the manufacturers also
include a counter in the software. This will count every page that you
print and when the counter reaches a preset value you get this
problem. The lights will flash and the printer will no longer work.

The plan is that you should send your printer to have the pads
replaced and the tank cleared out. This will cost more than some new
printers. So you may elect to buy a replacement. Either way more
profit for the manufacturers.

There is a program available to reset the counter but it is of course
Windows only.
And officially only available to the printer manufacturer's technicians
anyway.

Right, but I found it available for download. Then I checked it to see and it was Windows only.

Neil