Re: [LUG] Dell, doing linux wrong

On 30/11/12 13:06, Matt Lee wrote:
Unlike a Windows laptop, this laptop doesn't come with a bunch of
adware preinstalled, and Dell have to pay to train support staff to
handle this machine.

I don't see the great conspiracy.

I'm sorry what staff? Last time I worked in PC manufacturing plant (1995) almost everything was automated - the os is installed and the only human intervention is if there is something wrong - very very rare. The packing is automated and its near posting time before a human gets near. Have look at the Dell web site and ask yourself can your really charge £150 for a, what 2 or 3 minute image install, when you can choose a thousand different parameters for your build at 'cost'.

* I can install Ubu on a machine in an hour and get a working image that can be copied to any 'identical' machine and a set of test routines should be more or less of the shelf too.
This must be deliberate - or Dell would have gone bust years ago.
Tom te tom te tom