Re: [LUG] Installing Tenda W311U wireless dongle drivers

On 26/11/12 09:26, Brown Richard wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Hope you had a good weekend. I'm trying to follow this install for the wireless
> adapter but not having a cable I can connect the pi with I am hoping that I will
> be able to download the drivers using a different machine. But it doesn't seem
> that easy! I have a mac and follow the link but it lists numerous directories. Is
> there a way in which I can download these drivers please?
>
> <http://blog.modmypi.com/2012/06/installing-tenda-w311u-mini-wireless.html>

I think you need to install directly to the PI so you need to find a
cable and cat 5 socket and do it that way,

while you can install debian packages with dpkg -i <package name>   this
won't pull in any dependencies that could be missing or do general
tidying up,   apt or aptitude is designed to do that,  I would assume
that it pulls in network manager.

not sure if aptitude can install individual packages in the same way as
dpkg -i does and then pull in stuff as needed.   Again when you apt-get
stuff it does a lot of other stuff too,  so everything works on your
system.

Also someone suggested running apt-get update I think people here will
agree with that too.

I am sure others here can help further,   as I said you're probably
better off finding a cat 5 socket and cable and doing it that way.

Paul

> --
> Kind regards
>
> Richard Brown