Re: [LUG] New Distro

On 21/11/12 09:56, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 21 Nov, 2012, at 9:05 am, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Recently I installed Mint Maya Xfce as many of you know. I have had a
lot of grief with it,

Not to dismiss Neil's problems, but just as another data point, I
installed Mint Maya Xfce on a desktop a few weeks back and have had no
problems other than lack of bang-up-to-date libraries required by my
favored bleeding-edge build of emacs, which is only to be expected. My
wife and kids are the main users and they seem very happy with it so
far. I was impressed that all devices including a USB webcam and USB
Bluetooth dongle JFW. It only has 512 MB RAM, but Firefox and
LibreOffice can just about manage together with that, so just need some
more RAM now to make it really sing...

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

I am pleased that you have had such a good experience of Maya. I could see that it had the makings of a very good distro. But for me it did not work. Whether there was something wrong with the installation is quite possible. Please note that when I download an iso file I always check the md5sum to make sure that the download did work.

Please note that I am not knocking Maya at all. It was a shame that is did not work for me. Perhaps I should have tried a re-install, And the clue that there was a problem came right from the start with the logging out problem.

Anyway I am pleased so far with Xubuntu, as you are pleased with Maya. What more could we ask?

Neil