Re: [LUG] Buying laptops for GNU/Linux

On 16/11/12 14:33, Matt Lee wrote:
I've had a nightmare trying to buy a GNU/Linux laptop lately, in the
end I wound up buying a 'whitebook' -- essentially a barebones laptop
where you can customize the CPU, and more importantly, the graphics
card and wifi adapter.

Full spec for my new machine is up at:
http://lttam.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/custom-laptops-are-now-a-reality/

These machines are typically used for gamers, but lucky for us, there
is a gaming network card company who happens to be owned by Atheros,
so we can buy their cards and get good support in Linux.

Best,

matt

--
Matt Lee

http://www.linkedin.com/in/metamattl

That's interesting to know. Novatech still do laptops without an OS (saving about £100) and I believe Asus were releasing a range of laptops with Ubuntu on them, but I don't know if they were released in the UK like this (the article I saw said they were being released in Germany, so they could be imported, but then there would be the hassle of getting a UK keyboard, and looking into it it seemed to be something that wasn't readily available at the moment).

Rob