Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 05/11/2012 11:22, Neil Stone wrote:

Most network devices will support dhcp or manual configuration. Bear in mind that DHCP can be used to assign a given IP to a given MAC upon request and thus is generally the easiest option.

Yes the latter was option 3 of my suggestions to Neil W and the one I use in the home. I don't assign static IPs to WiFi devices for the simple reason they may clash with other devices if I go to, for example, a friend's house who also has a Virginmedia Superhub on the same default IP range - or any Netgear as the VM is a rebadged Netgear CG3101D or VMDG480.. I suspect the latter is heavily modified hence the VM prefix, or that could be a coincidence as it is a Netgear model number.

Julian