Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 02/11/2012 12:53, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Julian Hall wrote:
something which was previously perfectly safe to do
I'm not sure if I agree with this. Sure, it was safe for you to do so,
but it also allowed malware and/or people having gained unauthorized
access to your machine to upload your files onto a remote FTP server.

Ideally, you'd block outbound FTP to all servers but the one(s) you use.

Also, since you mention "port forwarding", are you talking about an
FTP server running on your machine, or one running elsewhere that you
use to download files from and upload files to? Your email suggests
the latter, but port forwarding is generally about the former.

Martijn.
In this context Virgin's Port Forwarding function opens a specific port in the Firewall and pointing traffic received through that port to a specified IP address'. I'm referring basically to FTP access from my home computer to update my personal website.

Julian