Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 02/11/2012 12:14, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Julian Hall wrote:
Sorry for the segue, but my point is not to rely solely on your router's
firewall, especially if provided by your ISP as you have no control over
updates.
To me it sounds like the problem here is that your firewall isn't very
configurable.

It makes perfect sense to disallow FTP in all but the lowest firewall
settings: most people don't use the protocol these days, while it
makes data-theft very easy.

In fact, what you're doing -- enabling FTP (by temporarily setting the
firewall to Low) only when you actually need it -- sounds like exactly
the sort of thing people should be doing.

Martijn.
Fair point, but I have my software firewall on the PC to stop anything untoward getting through. I just want the firmware to work properly, and yes you're right - it's not at all configurable. It's been dumbed down to the point of almost unworkable. They even have an FTP preset in the Port Forwarding rules, which also doesn't work. I take your point, but with *both* options broken it's a pain to do something which was previously perfectly safe to do, and transparent.

Julian