Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 02/11/2012 11:36, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM, malcolm wrote:
Do you think a personal firewall like Ubuntu's ufw is necessary in a home
environment or is the router's firewall sufficient (with the other measures
you suggest) for the current level of threat?
After I add a disclaimer that I don't know very much about both
existing and possible future threats on Linux, nor do I know a great
deal about firewalls, I think that in a home environment, running a
firewall on the router is generally sufficient.

But then, if it doesn't hurt your experience of using the computer, I
don't see why you wouldn't run an internal firewall was well. For one
thing, it does help bad stuff from spreading inside the network.

Martijn.
Also I have recently discovered that the Virginmedia so-called Superhub (more like Stuporhub) latest firmware update forced on customers is broken. In essence it won't let you carry out some basic functions unless the Firewall security is set to Low, and it doesn't even tell you anywhere the difference between Low, Medium and High. For example, to FTP I have to set the Firewall to Low, upload or download my files, and then reset the Firewall to Medium. You may think an easy remedy would be to set a Port Forwarding rule on port 21 to my desktop PC. Unfortunately the forums are full of people complaining that Port Forwarding on the Superhub doesn't work, and in my experience they're right.

Sorry for the segue, but my point is not to rely solely on your router's firewall, especially if provided by your ISP as you have no control over updates.

Julian