Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Julian Hall wrote:
> Sorry for the segue, but my point is not to rely solely on your router's
> firewall, especially if provided by your ISP as you have no control over
> updates.

To me it sounds like the problem here is that your firewall isn't very
configurable.

It makes perfect sense to disallow FTP in all but the lowest firewall
settings: most people don't use the protocol these days, while it
makes data-theft very easy.

In fact, what you're doing -- enabling FTP (by temporarily setting the
firewall to Low) only when you actually need it -- sounds like exactly
the sort of thing people should be doing.

Martijn.