Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi now 100% Open Source on the ARM side - clusters

On 25/10/12 12:51, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, paul sutton wrote:
>
>> sure sticking 4/8/16 pis in a cluster may not be of much use, BUT its a
>> good opportunity for a group of us to get together, maybe with a few
>> beers (or other drinks) play, learn and have fun at the same time.
>>
>> clearly at the end we would need to find some sort of app that would run
>> to prove its using multiple processors.
>>
>> even if this is a simple programme to calculate PI.
>
> And there's the issue - just how to you break up a problem like
> calculating Pi into something that will run on more than one processor?
>
> And that's the thing that's been the biggest issue all along.
>
> Some applications can parallise fantastically well - take mandelbrots
> for example - you can divide the whole into squares and then get each
> processor to calculate it's own little square of the whole by simply
> giving it the x/y coordinates of the start and the size, then finaly
> stitch the little squares together. This is how we generated
> fantastically fast mandelbrots in the early days on transputers.
>
> Similarly for ray-tracing - you get each processor to generate a tiny
> part of the whole scene. Each processor has the same data, the same
> program, just a different x/y/z/limit starting point...
>
> Then things get complex - e.g. matrix multiply - where one result
> depends on another result...
>
> Back to things like Pi - is there an algorithm that says: generate N
> digits starting from digit Y? If there is, then throw it at X
> processors and off you go... But if not, then it's diving deep into
> the world of mathematics/comp sci. to work out a solution that will
> parallelise effectively.
>
> Sometimes you take a different approach - one image construction
> system I built had a pipeline of about 64 x i860 processors - each one
> doing a small part to the whole image, then it would pass the data to
> the next processor in the chain - which would do another tiny bit of
> image analysis/enhancement, and so on - (the application here was
> airport X-Ray scanners and synthetic aperature radar image
> enhancement) the end result was that we got real-time results, but
> with a bit of latency... For cases like that you then need ultra high
> speed comms between the processors - something the early transputers
> were good at (for the time). The Meiko CS2 box (no transputers, custom
> comms chips) could xfer data at 75MB/sec any node to any other node -
> slower than Gb ethernet today, but this was 20 years ago..
>
> So it's not always easy.
>
> Other tasks you might want to look at might be parallel compilation -
> e.g. my BASIC interpreter currently have 42 .c files - get 42 CPUs to
> do the compile and it'll be 42 times faster (ish!) than a single
> processor - of-course then other things start to be the bottleneck -
> the underlying filesystem for example, and the final link stage can
> still only be done on single processer for the most part...

> [...]

Well the Pi thing was just an idea,   maybe as a lug we can do something
one day at a meet,  that is pretty cool, like this,

of course it will require serveral people to have Pis and of those
people willing to actually bring them along.  and I guess a specific
linux build on sd card beforehand  to make it work as a cluster,  If the
project mentioned before is anything to go by each Pi had the same
software just configured slightly differently so everything would work
together.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111