Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi now 100% Open Source on the ARM side

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012, tom wrote:

If you want a cool cluster try the http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone?ref=home_popular
I want one!

Hm. I don't particularly agree with their pitch... For example, over 20 years ago I was working with a company building what we now know as clusters.. It's not a new concept. Biggest one I helped build at the time: http://unicorn.drogon.net/cs2.gif That had 256 compute boards each with a dual processor sparc and 128MB of RAM...

https://projects.drogon.net/a-box-of-200-raspberry-pis/

10 years ago I worked with a company who developed a general purpose plug-in pci/pcie card - 96 cores on it - under 10 watts a chip (they put 2 on a single plug-in card) see http://www.clearspeed.com/

So the concept isn't new. Making it affordable and "open" is...

The problem then and now still is: How do you program the things? The question we were always asked went along the lines of: I have this 30 year old FORTRAN program - make it go faster with more data ...

Want to play with multi-cores on a chip today? Buy one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_Propeller

e.g. http://www.xgamestation.com/view_product.php?id=51

Gordon