Re: [LUG] Looking for old hardware

Have you ever priced a 10mb dedicated to a site that is 10km from the
exchange? (I have sites 7, 9, 10km and 13km away) Some scary figures start
to appear even 1km away.  And that's if you can find anyone that wants to
do it...

Yes, I have.

And...?  I stopped listening when the salesman got to £80,000

Reliability is fine - but if your business depends on it, then get a leased line. Also understand just where the contention is - there's the network that carries th data from the premises to the edge of the ISP (Often the BT wholesale network, or another providers network - e.g. LLU), then then ISPs own network, then their connectivity to other ISPs, peering points, etc. and here you really do get what you pay for.

Sure. And my choice is to have a decent router that can failover and where required, a second ADSL with a different ISP. That way I get twice the capacity a single adsl will provide at twice the cost, and quite a lot less ongoing. But then I've long held the opinion that my employer is incredibly lucky having me around to configure and maintain such things. I do agree that if they were entirely reliant on external technicians, having a more reliable system may be cost effective when you have to factor in callout fees and delays. Although even then, for a tenfold increase in rental over 2xadsl, and still having a situation where if the exchange goes down it all goes splat anyway, it would still be a fairly hard sell on a cost basis.

But once you move to clients who use leased lines, you'll find that it's amazing how a lot of silly little problems just go away. Lifes too short.

I am a staunch supporter of that philosophy, actually. I just don't think in this instance it suits rural sites. The install fees are too expensive and even then, the ongoing rentals don't stack up against  competitively priced adsl, unless the SLA by the provider was gilt-plated.

Si