Re: [LUG] DansGuardian and GPL

On Fri, 2012-10-12 at 13:56 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 12/10/12 13:41, Simon Waters wrote:
> > On 12/10/12 12:24, Rob Beard wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I've been having a look at setting up an IPCop box with DansGuardian.
> >>
> >> During my search on how to get it installed on IPCop I came across this:
> >>
> >> http://dansguardian.org/?page=copyright2
> >>
> >> DansGuardian 2 is:
> >>
> >> - *licensed under the GPL version 2 with permission to link to OpenSSL*
> >> - Open Source
> >> - Free Software where 'Free' means Freedom
> >> - freely (no cost) downloadable from this site for non-commercial use
> >> - freely (no cost) downloadable from this site for general purpose unix
> >> distributions like FreeBSD, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc
> >> - not freely downloadable from this site for installation by 3rd parties
> >> charging for installation or support
> >> - *not freely downloadable from this site for commercial use*
> >> - a registered trade mark of Daniel Barron
> >> - copyright Daniel Barron
> >>
> >> The thing I was wondering, it's released under the GPL 2 but the author
> >> of the software appears to be adding additional restrictions to the
> >> software when downloaded from his site... basically it can't be used for
> >> commercial use.
> >
> > Yes, he is asking you to pay for your copy downloaded from his site.
> >
> > This is allowed under the GPL.
> >

> Ahh I see, I got the impression that on his site he was selling licences.
>

>   The download license costs per site are as follows:
>
> 50 pounds sterling ($89 US or EURO) for 1-99 computers per unix-like server
> 75 pounds sterling ($130 US or EURO) for 100-249 computers per unix-like
> server
>
> and so on going up in increments of Â25 to Â50 ish.
>
> > Once you have a copy then you have the full GPLv2 rights to give your
> > copy away.
>
> Fair enough.  I presume this must be how distros do it then.
>

> > But note the obligation to supply source code is on you, not on them, if
> > you follow this path.
> >

> Yep, I presume this relates to all GPL'd software, if someone
> distributes it then they should make the source code available?
>
> >> As it happens I'm not looking to use it for commercial use, but it seems
> >> odd that it's restricted this way.
> >
> > I think it is the presentation of the restriction that is odd not the
> > behaviour. e.g. Putting this presentation on the site with the licensing
> > details.
> >
> > Redhat subscriptions cover getting updates to GPLv2 software (amongst
> > other bits, and other free software).
> >
> > Centos is basically someone giving their copy of Redhat's distribution
> > away by using those freedoms.
> >
> > The odd bit is the free for non-commercial use. So you can download it
> > as yourself, decide it does what your company wants and sell your copy
> > to your company that is interested in it. e.g. You could become the
> > equivalent of Centos.
> >

> Ahh okay.  How I understand it Centos take the source, remove any Redhat
> [...]

As an aside to this I didn't know you could do this
http://www.openlogic.com/resources-library/

use a tool to find OSS in embedded in your system !

could be an eye opener for some companies...

I bet the Ebook at the bottom makes good bed-time reading as well.

( I came across this when researching Imagemagic for a batch image
manipulation ) It's so easy to get sidetracked...

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Skype minions_shop