[LUG] DansGuardian and GPL

Hi folks,

I've been having a look at setting up an IPCop box with DansGuardian.

During my search on how to get it installed on IPCop I came across this:

http://dansguardian.org/?page=copyright2

DansGuardian 2 is:

- *licensed under the GPL version 2 with permission to link to OpenSSL*
- Open Source
- Free Software where 'Free' means Freedom
- freely (no cost) downloadable from this site for non-commercial use
- freely (no cost) downloadable from this site for general purpose unix distributions like FreeBSD, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc - not freely downloadable from this site for installation by 3rd parties charging for installation or support
- *not freely downloadable from this site for commercial use*
- a registered trade mark of Daniel Barron
- copyright Daniel Barron

The thing I was wondering, it's released under the GPL 2 but the author of the software appears to be adding additional restrictions to the software when downloaded from his site... basically it can't be used for commercial use.

Now I can understand asking for donations, or charging for support (as it happens he doesn't provide commercial support) so surely if he wants to restrict non-commercial use then presumably it should be released under another license?

As it happens I'm not looking to use it for commercial use, but it seems odd that it's restricted this way.

Rob