Re: [LUG] DansGuardian and GPL

On 12/10/12 12:24, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been having a look at setting up an IPCop box with DansGuardian.
>
> During my search on how to get it installed on IPCop I came across this:
>
> http://dansguardian.org/?page=copyright2
>
> DansGuardian 2 is:
>
> - *licensed under the GPL version 2 with permission to link to OpenSSL*
> - Open Source
> - Free Software where 'Free' means Freedom
> - freely (no cost) downloadable from this site for non-commercial use
> - freely (no cost) downloadable from this site for general purpose unix
> distributions like FreeBSD, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc
> - not freely downloadable from this site for installation by 3rd parties
> charging for installation or support
> - *not freely downloadable from this site for commercial use*
> - a registered trade mark of Daniel Barron
> - copyright Daniel Barron
>
> The thing I was wondering, it's released under the GPL 2 but the author
> of the software appears to be adding additional restrictions to the
> software when downloaded from his site... basically it can't be used for
> commercial use.

Yes, he is asking you to pay for your copy downloaded from his site.

This is allowed under the GPL.

Once you have a copy then you have the full GPLv2 rights to give your
copy away.

But note the obligation to supply source code is on you, not on them, if
you follow this path.

> As it happens I'm not looking to use it for commercial use, but it seems
> odd that it's restricted this way.

I think it is the presentation of the restriction that is odd not the
behaviour. e.g. Putting this presentation on the site with the licensing
details.

Redhat subscriptions cover getting updates to GPLv2 software (amongst
other bits, and other free software).

Centos is basically someone giving their copy of Redhat's distribution
away by using those freedoms.

The odd bit is the free for non-commercial use. So you can download it
as yourself, decide it does what your company wants and sell your copy
to your company that is interested in it. e.g. You could become the
equivalent of Centos.

Hopefully people will just pay up if they want it for commercial use.

If he removed the "GPLv2" reference from the website, and included a
note saying "Parts of this software are distributed under the GPLv2" in
the CD case he sends you when you pay for it like some Cisco routers,
would you think it odd?