Re: [LUG] Home server

On 06/10/12 08:55, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 05/10/12 20:22, bad apple wrote:
On 05/10/12 19:28, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have noticed that several of the list members mention that they have a
server set up at home. Can anyone tell me what that is all about please
and why anyone would want/need to have one?

Just wondering.

Neil

Is this really a linux mailing list?

Is this really a serious question?

The mind boggles.

Regards

Well, I meant it as a serious question. I believe that it is highly
recommended to use Linux for any server set up. Is this wrong? I thought
that anyone on the group having a server set up at home would run it in
Linux to run Linux distros. And this is a Linux list.

It would appear that I have got that wrong and that the question should
never have been asked on this list. I apologise and withdraw it.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Please don't apologise nor withdraw your question. I think it was a perfectly valid one to ask.

In fact, I have been planning to set up my first home server too. I just need to find the time! lol!

In our household we have reached a point where there is lots of data, mainly photos, on several laptop hard disks. Some of this data is not backed up anywhere at the moment!!! So I really need setup a file server / back up box soon!.... (or use the online options as Rob suggested)

Also, I am utterly *rubbish* when it comes to networking so I am looking forward to learning a little about that in the process. Also, learning a bit more bash (+?cron) to automatically back up the data from the various laptops will be good. :-)

We have a ton of printed photographs that, as an xmas present, I am going to scan for mum. I am going to store them on the, as yet un-made, server and then was hoping to get several digital "picture frames" to display some of the photos at various locations throughout the house. I am not quite sure yet what hard ware to use for the picture frames, I am sure a cheaper android tablet could be persuaded but i am kind of hoping there is an even cheaper alternative since they will do nothing but display pictures. I have not looked into it yet....

I might even have a play with apache again too......

But it's all time :-( lol. Maybe I should stop writing emails and crack on! lol

Best wishes
roly :-)