Re: [LUG] OT sky fibre broadband

On 05/10/12 20:44, Rob Beard wrote:

 From what I understand (from reading ThinkBroadband.com) BT are rolling
out fibre to the cabinet, so that is they'll put in another cabinet
(with a mini DSLAM in it) next to the existing cabinet, run fibre to the
new cabinet and then link from the new cabinet to the old cabinet, so
the VDSL signal doesn't have as much length to go to your house.
Unless the guy at the bottom of the road has a fibre connection to the group of 4 houses down there (there was some activity down the road a little while ago) I will have a mile of copper. We are out in the sticks.

I gather too that BT are giving customers the option of going for a full
fibre to the premises connection if they wish to pay for it where they
will run fibre from the cabinet to the premises, but I gather it's not
cheap at the moment (they have to run a fibre connection from the
cabinet and I presume clear ducts and shoot the fibre down or run it
over a pole etc).
£500-£1500, but presumably in town.

There's a little bit more about FTTC and FTTP here:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html
Thanks for the detail.

I'd suggest putting your postcode into the checker here:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
Useless - behind the times. Sam does not know :[

 According to the
Thinkbroadband link at 24Mbit/sec the length might be about 1KM.
That fits for my "neighbour" and 11Mbps fits for a further 1km

It looks like the nice lady at sky has got into a muddle and it is FTTC that is recent for them with copper from the cabinet. Hence the engineer will assess the line.

Thanks Rob.

James

--
James Kilty