Re: [LUG] Home server

On 07/10/12 09:48, Roland Tarver wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> Please don't apologise nor withdraw your question. I think it was a
> perfectly valid one to ask.
>
> In fact, I have been planning to set up my first home server too. I just
> need to find the time! lol!
>
> In our household we have reached a point where there is lots of data,
> mainly photos, on several laptop hard disks. Some of this data is not
> backed up anywhere at the moment!!! So I really need setup a file server
> / back up box soon!....  (or use the online options as Rob suggested)
>
> Also, I am utterly *rubbish* when it comes to networking so I am looking
> forward to learning a little about that in the process. Also, learning a
> bit more bash (+?cron) to automatically back up the data from the
> various laptops will be good.  :-)
>
> We have a ton of printed photographs that, as an xmas present, I am
> going to scan for mum. I am going to store them on the, as yet un-made,
> server and then was hoping to get several digital "picture frames" to
> display some of the photos at various locations throughout the house. I
> am not quite sure yet what hard ware to use for the picture frames, I am
> sure a cheaper android tablet could be persuaded but i am kind of hoping
> there is an even cheaper alternative since they will do nothing but
> display pictures. I have not looked into it yet....
>
> I might even have a play with apache again too......
>
> But it's all time :-( lol. Maybe I should stop writing emails and crack
> on! lol
>
> Best wishes
> roly :-)

Thanks for your encouragement. At the moment we have three computers at
home, my desktop, my wife's laptop and my daughter's laptop. I asked the
question in part because I am concerned about back-up and I would like
to have some way of helping the girls with any problems.

My daughter is getting married soon and will be moving a few miles away
so I am even more anxious to be of help where necessary. We all use
Linux by the way, I have not touched Windows for about 12 years now.

Recently I asked about linking computers via Samba and NFS etc. The
answers were helpful but left me wondering whether setting up a server
would be a better option. I have worked with computers for longer than I
care to remember and I still find topics about which I am pretty clueless!!

Regards

Neil