Re: [LUG] Home server

On 07/10/12 09:48, Roland Tarver wrote:

Hi Neil,

Please don't apologise nor withdraw your question. I think it was a
perfectly valid one to ask.

I agree, not everyone on the LUG mailing list is an expert and how do you learn? By asking questions, reading up and doing research on things. There's plenty of things I don't know and I find the LUG mailing list to be a valuable resource with lots of skilled members with lots of knowledge that they're generally happy to share.

<snip>

We have a ton of printed photographs that, as an xmas present, I am
going to scan for mum. I am going to store them on the, as yet un-made,
server and then was hoping to get several digital "picture frames" to
display some of the photos at various locations throughout the house. I
am not quite sure yet what hard ware to use for the picture frames, I am
sure a cheaper android tablet could be persuaded but i am kind of hoping
there is an even cheaper alternative since they will do nothing but
display pictures. I have not looked into it yet....

If you could get them maybe a couple of Jogglers would do the job nicely :-)

But it's all time :-( lol. Maybe I should stop writing emails and crack
on! lol

Yep I've got lots of ideas of things to do myself but not had the time, saying that I've just finished a contract so I'm going to spend a bit of time doing those things I've been trying to get round to doing and maybe doing a bit of reading up on Linux related stuff and even maybe looking into some sort of certification (I gather there are some free Linux certification resources out there and I'd just have to find the exam fees and then do them).

Rob