Re: [LUG] "I am calling you from Windows" scam redux

 On 05/10/2012 15:44, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Julian Hall wrote:
I'm on Twitter (@JulianMHall) and I usually tweet when I've had one
reminding people that *nobody* will telephone to say you have a virus, least
of all Windows which is a product not a company, and asking them to RT it.
That's great, though I think they tend to say they are from Microsoft,
not Windows. And in many cases they don't even say who they call from,
or they call from BT, or from some vague company.
Actually the majority I've received have been stupid enough to say they are calling from Windows, but I agree they don't *all* do it :)
And some ISPs and some banks do contact their customers when the
latter are infected with malware. Usually not by phone, but it's not
to be excluded, and it's not necessarily a bad idea either.
Never had anyone legitimate contact me personally, but fair enough if it does happen I'll take your word for it :)
Another problem is that some of these scams do only a few things that
are strictly illegal. Misrepresentation usually (claiming to call from
Microsoft, or to be Microsoft certified) and possibly making false
claims about infections, but when I once managed to make it past the
payment stage, all they did was run a few free tools. Vastly
overpriced, sure (I "paid" £89), but that part isn't illegal.
I'm fairly sure obtaining money by false pretences is illegal.

Julian