Re: [LUG] "I am calling you from Windows" scam redux

 On 05/10/2012 12:17, paul sutton wrote:
On 05/10/12 12:12, Simon Waters wrote:
On 05/10/12 12:01, paul sutton wrote:
We need to get more people to simply HANG UP or tell em where to go then
hang up.
Probably delaying tactics are what we want people to do.

Tell them you need to get your son, wife, husband, and put the phone
down on the desk and see how long before they hang up.

Obviously not always convenient, but it ties up the most amount of
scammer for the least amount of effort on our part.

However this is not always possible when you are waiting in for an
Important phone call, but a good idea for if you can spare the time.

Perhaps a mix of tactics is important

I think one way to help the general user base out there is to constantly
remind them that these calls are scams, if they need help contact a
reputable computer dealer or even better install a proper OS. :)

Paul
I'm on Twitter (@JulianMHall) and I usually tweet when I've had one reminding people that *nobody* will telephone to say you have a virus, least of all Windows which is a product not a company, and asking them to RT it.

Julian