Re: [LUG] "I am calling you from Windows" scam redux

On 05/10/12 12:12, Simon Waters wrote:
> On 05/10/12 12:01, paul sutton wrote:
>>
>> We need to get more people to simply HANG UP or tell em where to go
>> then hang up.
>
> Probably delaying tactics are what we want people to do.
>
> Tell them you need to get your son, wife, husband, and put the phone
> down on the desk and see how long before they hang up.
>
> Obviously not always convenient, but it ties up the most amount of
> scammer for the least amount of effort on our part.

We get these calls perhaps once or twice a day for months and then
suddenly nothing for about a month and then they start up again.

I used to play along or make noises down the phone but now I don't
bother talking to them . There is always a short delay before the system
at the other end notices someone has picked up the receiver. That's a
dead give away that the caller is a scammer/tele-sales. Then I hang up.

Cut off the mother-in-law once and got an ear bashing from the wife. But
I can bear that.

Keith