Re: [LUG] Sad encounter

On 24/09/12 21:21, bad apple wrote:

Well, as both Windows 8 and Mac OS 10.8 are doing such a good job of
alienating and annoying their paying customers, it's entirely possible
that if nothing else, pure desperation might drive a few more users to
linux, even if reluctantly. I have multiple clients for whom
win8/mac10.8 is proving to be the final straw (nothing wrong with Server
2012 to be fair, but it's hardly a desktop OS for the casual user).

That's interesting what you say about MacOS X 10.8, I've not seen that (latest version of OSX I've played with is 10.6 on my friends Macbook) so I wasn't aware of any issues.

Windows 8 though... ugh... maybe okay on a tablet.

Hopefully any of these hypothetical brave users jumping ship won't make
the usual mistake and try vanilla ubuntu first though, it's almost as
bad. I must say, I didn't really see the current state of affairs
coming: the three main current operating system choices (win8, mac 10.8,
ubuntu w/unity) are all absolute car crashes. A time traveller from five
years ago would have a heart attack if they were sat down in front of
these dogs and seriously told it's what passes for the state of the art
in 2012... Strange times.

Yep I know what you mean about Unity. I'm sure some people like it, maybe it's because I've been used to how Windows works from Windows 95/NT 4 onwards. Just seems these touch interfaces are trying to replicate Windows 3.1 with Program Manager :-D

(Ahh good old Windows 3.1, I remember it well, heck, I even vaguely remember Windows 2.0 which South Devon College ran on top of Windows 3.1 to run Pagemaker... that was many moons ago :-D).

Rob