Re: [LUG] Samba - not the dance

As I said we have a desktop and two laptops here all using the same
router. The desktop is linked via cable and the laptops use wifi. It
just seems strange to me that there is no simple way for me on the
desktop for example to be able to view files on one of the other
machines. Oh well, perhaps teamviewer is the way to go??

Sounds to me that if you're just looking for a way to have adhoc file transfers, then ssh is your friend. If you're running sshd, then you can use either gftp or even Nautilus' "Connect To Server" to connect to other peoples computers and get at their files. Or do you want your users to have a directory nominated as "shared" that are available on the local network?Â