Re: [LUG] Samba - not the dance

On 16/09/12 09:37, Simon Avery wrote:
> Hello Neil,
>
>     So, if anyone can point me towards any tutorials or help files which
>     specifically cover Linux to Linux file sharing using Samba I will be
>     very grateful. And yes I do have friends who use Windows but I have
>     neither the need nor the wish to share files with them.
>

> In a purely linux environment, Samba offers little that nfs doesn't as
> far as sharing files/directories goes, which explains why most guides
> don't go into that.
>
> Yes, it's possible, mostly by mounting remote shares instead of map
> drives - but really, use NFS instead. Less overhead.
>
> Generally you'll want a server, or lacking that, the desktop that's
> turned on most of the time to host the files (or the one with the most
> disk space...) and define a directory to export using /etc/exports
>
> Each client would then mount that as if it appeared on their local
> filesystem. Perhaps using /etc/fstab and /mnt/BillysMoviesDrive or whatever.
>
> Same theory for Samba, just different ways of exporting and mounting,
> but as I say, it's not the best tool for this use.
>
> Simon

Thanks for all the info. I have now looked a bit into ssh and nfs and
they both look like overkill for what I am looking for. I obviously did
not understand about Samba really being for Windows which is not used
here. When we were talking about it at the meeting I must have missed that.

As I said we have a desktop and two laptops here all using the same
router. The desktop is linked via cable and the laptops use wifi. It
just seems strange to me that there is no simple way for me on the
desktop for example to be able to view files on one of the other
machines. Oh well, perhaps teamviewer is the way to go??

Sorry to have wasted people's time,

Neil

Neil