Re: [LUG] Samba - not the dance

On 16/09/12 21:46, Steven Côté wrote:
As I said we have a desktop and two laptops here all using the same
router. The desktop is linked via cable and the laptops use wifi. It
just seems strange to me that there is no simple way for me on the
desktop for example to be able to view files on one of the other
machines. Oh well, perhaps teamviewer is the way to go??

Sounds to me that if you're just looking for a way to have adhoc file transfers, then ssh is your friend. If you're running sshd, then you can use either gftp or even Nautilus' "Connect To Server" to connect to other peoples computers and get at their files. Or do you want your users to have a directory nominated as "shared" that are available on the local network?

What I tend to do is to put the samba server and clients on each machine (until my latest ubuntu upgrade which seems to be rotten to the core)
If you modify smb.conf to add each machine to the same workgroup and add shares as necessary then each machine can see the others when on and print if people send you computer incompatible docs like pdfs if the machine with the printer is on....
This is of course a bit insecure but for most home use acceptable,
What it might be worth doing amongst ourselves is documenting a few options so others can follow in our muddy footsteps:
eg Simple home sharing with windows access
Small business sharing with windows access and some security
small business sharing with windows access and proper security...
Any thoughts
Tom te tom te tom