Re: [LUG] /etc/hosts

A server is nice but requires a permanently on machine - not useful where there are an ad-hoc collection of machines (as my house is since my server went titsup. I find DSL routers go titsup here a lot - too much lightnin. - just have a handy hosts file to modify for a new machine...
Tom te tom te tom

If there's only a couple machines and they don't change often, copying around a hosts file might be the easiest option. If devices change fairly often and you're not up to setting up a DNS server, there's always mDNS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_DNS). Avahi is the Linux implementation of this.