Re: [LUG] /etc/hosts

On 07/09/12 13:32, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2012, paul sutton wrote:

>>> Avoiding doing this is *exactly* what DNS was invented for )-:

Just to add my 2 cents: if you have more than a couple of machines on
your local network it's definitely worth setting up a DNS server.
Everyone has their favourites of course, but you should avoid dnsmasq
and especially bind, etc for your minimalistic setup - have a look at
unbound. Small, simple and available for win/mac/linux (as simple as
sudo apt-get install unbound on debian flavours). It's main advantage
over other DNS servers is it's tiny size, simple setup and in 5 minutes
you can have a local DNS server that does full recursive, authoritative,
caching lookups (including DNSSEC). It is also security audited to an
OpenBSD level of paranoia so you won't get any of the hideous flaws that
bind frequently falls victim to. It is *much* easier to set up than any
other DNS server I have used.

There is an excellent setup guide for beginners here:
https://calomel.org/unbound_dns.html

Cheers