Re: [LUG] file transfer via router

On 07/08/12 18:04, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 07/08/12 17:59, paul sutton wrote:
What about dropbox,  its good for small files but also something that
can be used if you need to copy files to friends etc,  (copy to public
folder and you can give people links to files).

Paul

Hadn't thought about that. I do have dropbox installed but I never use
it. I will have a play.

Thanks

Neil

I'd say that's a pretty slow method as it uploads it to the net and downloads it again (not to mention it might use up any bandwith limits you might have).

I'd suggest looking at setting up a shared folder (can't remember what distro you're using, is it KDE based?).

I can't remember exactly how to do it on KDE, but you should find an option for Windows/Samba file sharing. When you have enabled it and shared a folder you can then from the other machine access the samba share (under Gnome you can usually find the machines under network), I think under older versions of KDE you could put in smb://machinename/sharedfolder/ in the address bar.

Personally myself I use SSHFS. This means I have to install SSH on my server (but I SSH into it anyway so it's installed). I can then from Gnome connect to an SSH share by selecting the Connect to Server option and then selecting the service type as SSH and entering the details (host name, remote username, remote password, optionally port and folder name which you could put as / to access everything from the root directory upwards or maybe /home/username to access the files in the users folder).

Rob